We want to keep our teeth as healthy and as strong as possible. Dental crowns can be used to improve the appearance of the teeth, protect teeth that have fractured, and even save teeth we may otherwise lose. Let’s learn about dental crowns, and why Dr. Schultz may recommend them.
What Are Dental Crowns?
Dental crowns are “caps” or “coverings” put over teeth. They can be made out of different materials–depending upon where the tooth is, how it’s used, and the amount of the tooth structure needing coverage.
The materials used for crowns range from ceramic or porcelain to metal or gold. Whatever material is used, crowns are made to look like the teeth they’re covering, especially ceramic or porcelain crowns–whose color mimics that of your adjacent teeth.
Crown treatment is usually a two-appointment process. At your first appointment, any old filling material and/or cracked or decayed tooth structure will be removed, your tooth will be shaped for a crown, and a temporary crown will be made to custom-fit your tooth. You will come back to have your permanent crown cemented once it is made in our dental lab (usually a 2-3 week timeline).
When Are Dental Crowns Needed?
Your dental care provider may recommend you get a crown if:
- Your teeth have cracked or broken
- Your teeth have been weakened by decay or a root canal
- Your teeth have sustained a significant amount of wear from chewing or grinding
- Your teeth are misshapen or severely discolored
- You are missing at least one tooth and are receiving a bridge
Dental crowns are an extremely versatile method of treatment. They can be used to help a wide variety of oral issues.
Benefits Of Dental Crowns
Dentists and patients like dental crowns for numerous reasons, including :
- They are long-lasting and durable
- They can restore the natural size, shape, and appearance of teeth
- They look like your natural teeth
- They help ensure your teeth are safe and strong
- They protect weakened teeth from bacteria and decay
Dental crowns protect teeth from further damage or breakage. They can help patients retain natural teeth that may otherwise need to be removed for medical or safety reasons. They can also be used to improve the aesthetic appeal of your smile, and give you the pearly white teeth you want!
If you would like to see if you may be a good candidate for dental crown treatment, call to book an appointment today with the team at Schultz Family Dental. They can help you to get your teeth looking and feeling their best!